There interests of scientists for the healing power of spices has increased, as they have been used since the oldest times both in gastronomy and for combating some diseases and affections. Such ingredients are a real help for the organism, as they can prevent and treat many health problems. At present, a variety of spices are appreciated, among these a few being true “natural remedies” that not only have a special taste, but also give extra health to your life.
- Ginger is a very efficient spice in preventing ovarian cancer. This thing was proven by medical research made by American scientists. Also ginger helps ameliorate rheumatism and articulation pain if used in the shape of root decoct in the bath water. According to researchers at University of Sydney, ginger helps maintain the normal level of sugar in the blood, containing substances that fight the onset of diabetes (gingerol, polyphenols). Also, it has very good digestive, analgesic, anti-cancerous and anti-inflammatory properties, which should not be overlooked.
- Cloves are tolerated very well by the organism, even in case of gastric ulcer. They can be used in different dishes, as spices for game, fish, stews, vegetal dishes, recipes based on eggs, juices, mixed drinks, mulled wine and cakes (like gingerbread). This spice is a wonder of nature and naturist medicine – and we say this considering its main qualities, reducing the level of glucose in the blood and reducing cholesterol. Cloves are good for the brain, improving its functioning, help combat intestinal parasites and normalize the gastrointestinal activity. Due to the content of eugenol, cloves have an antiseptic, anti-inflammatory and disinfectant effect, being used to ameliorate inflammations at the level of kidneys and bladder, as well as for combating the infections caused by the bacteria and microbes that invaded the organism. Also, cloves help remove bad-smelling breath and ameliorate toothaches, as they have some local aromatic and analgesic properties. Researchers have discovered in the composition of cloves some ingredients that have the same role as insulin, thus being used to treat diabetes.
- Pepper is an excellent remedy regardless of color (white, black or red), being appreciated as an efficient natural remedy. It was the first spice that was brought to Europe from the Far East. It has remarkable properties, improving digestion, destroying damaging bacteria and microbes and being used in almost anything. If one adds a little pepper in plant tea, they can be used successfully for treating bloating, asthenia, indigestion, rheumatism, cough and flu. Just like chili peppers, it helps warm up the organism and thus it is recommended to be served in the cold season to people who are sensitive to cold and are predisposed to respiratory diseases. In gastronomy, it becomes a very good spice for steaks with sauces, sauerkraut, vegetable soups, meat and vegetable stews, as well as other dishes.
- The chili pepper is very useful for health, as it helps destroy cancerous cells, according to researchers. Also, it is efficient in adjusting blood circulation, dilates blood vessels, induces a sensation of heat to the organism, stimulates heart activities and prevents heart attacks. If applied in the shape of creams or ointments, it can help ameliorate rheumatic pain and calm muscular cramps. More than this, chili peppers combat cellulite and obesity.
- Turmeric is appreciated as a medicine as it includes an ingredient that helps treat arthritis, acting as in anti-inflammatory. According to some studies made by the American researchers, it was established that turmeric prevents colon cancer. It has very good digestive properties, stimulates the activity of the gallbladder and protects the intestine and stomach from inflammations and other affections that can appear due to improper alimentation.
- Black cumin is a very good spice for digestion, calming abdominal colic, normalizing the appetite, preventing colds and indigestion, preventing the formation of gases in the intestine and consolidating the immune system. It is mostly used in Indian gastronomy for its pine-like flavor.
- Oregano is an excellent natural antibiotic and a strong antifungal agent; but above these properties, it is interesting that it has a good effect in thinning the blood. In Italy, oregano is a spice that is commonly used, especially in pasta and pizza, as well as in all kinds of sauces, salads and grilled meat and fish dishes. In the Chinese traditional medicine, oregano is appreciated as a medicinal plant, being used for its special properties that make it be efficient in treating respiratory diseases, vomiting, fever, diarrhea, cough, skin affections and intestinal parasites. Through its content of antioxidant substances (especially phenolic acid and flavonoid elements), it inhibits the development of cancerous cells and thus has an anti-cancerous effect. Its antioxidant power is substantial, as it contains many substances of this kind, which have the ability to eliminate free radicals from the organism. If one uses oregano oil, then it is possible to prevent thrombosis, as it helps improve the quality of blood and thins it.