Obesity related mortality and morbidity rising very rapidly. All the statistics and current publications showing that within 2050 more than 50% of the population of developed countries will be obese. Inactive and obese population not only is being unproductive for themselves but also for the country. Productivity is decreasing in one way and expenditure is increasing for obesity related health problem in another way. Diabetes, high blood pressure, heart diseases, different endocrine diseases are caused by obesity. Health related cost is rising rapidly and affecting the obese person and his family as well as the country.
How to overcome and losing weight:
1. Mental strength, acceptance of situation and positive thinking:
At first an obese person should accept his condition. Unusual condition may arise in the community of an obese person. He or she may be criticized for their overweight and social acceptance may reduce. To move on an obese person should cope up with this circumstance and should be mentally positive. Otherwise he or she can not start for a new beginning.
‘Obesity can be controlled and different weight reduction measures will help to reduce weight’, an obese person has to believe it. Without positive attitude weight loss will not be possible and depression may aggravate.
2. Preparation and planning:
To reduce obesity, an obese person should be mentally prepared. There are varieties of options for reduction of weight, such as lifestyle modification, diet, exercise, medication even some surgical procedures. It is better to consult with a doctor which plans are appropriate for you. Lifestyle modification, Diet and exercise are the best way to reduce weight.
But, it is very important to be strict on plan and strong motivation is required to be successful. So, family support is necessary to get strongly motivated.
3. Proper diet:
A proper diet should be maintained. There is a rough calculation, that if a person intake 500 kilocalorie less than his or her daily requirement, he or she will lose 0.5Kg weight weekly.
So at first, an obese person should calculate his or her daily calorie requirements and energy expenditure.
Make a checklist:
– A healthy person needs daily 1.5gm-2gm/Kg body weight of protein containing all types of essential and semi essential amino acids for maintaining regular cellular activity.
– He also needs 6gm-8gm/kg carbohydrates to get energy.
– Essential fatty acids containing fatty foods around 1-1.5gm/Kg body weight is needed.
– All types of vitamins and minerals, which can be found by taking vegetables, fruits or supplements.
– Minimum 2Liters of water should be taken to maintain normal body function.
And 1gm can produce 9 kilocalories, 1gm protein produces 4 kilocalorie and 1 gm carbohydrate also produces 4 kilocalorie by metabolism in our body.
Now anyone can easily calculate his or her daily calorie requirements. But we take 3-4 times more food from our requirements.
Few things should be avoided like, fast foods, oily foods, recurrent intake of snacks and sugary drinks, large amount of alcohol intake etc.
Many people think these snacks and beverages are low caloriecontaining, but the truth is-
– A Coca Cola cane contains 140 calories and 40 grams of sugar (10 teaspoons).
– An apple juice cane contains- 165 calories and 39 grams of sugar (9.8 teaspoons). Even some contains more than 20 tea spoons.
– All crackers contain fat and carbohydrate.
So, frequent intake may cause consumption of more than 500-600 kilocalorie daily, which is totally unnecessary and an extra additive to any diet plan. Try to follow your food habit like this food pyramid.
4. Don’t follow the myths:
Some food myths are present here. Like-
– ‘Fast food should be strictly avoided’. But if anyone takes fatty food at home there is no benefit then.
– ‘Have to avoid red meat which contains protein and high amount of fat’– some red meat contains essential amino acids and fatty acid. Complete avoidance may develop deficiency of them.
– ‘Only fruits at breakfast are good for losing weight’– But breakfast should be the best meal after prolongs fasting.
– ‘Skipping meal, a way to lose weight quickly’– It may cause peptic ulcer disease and increase intake of food in the next meal for hunger.
– ‘Being vegetarian will make you skinny’- But most of the vegetarians suffer from anemia due to protein deficiency.
– ‘Without weight loss supplement you can’t lose your weight’-But most of these products are not regulated by FDA like government authority. Quality is the factor. Otherwise it may be helpful but not an essential thing to take for weight loss.
There are many myths which can destroy diet plan and may cause weight gain instead of weight loss. So, we should avoid them. It is better to consult with a doctor or a nutritionist regarding following an appropriate diet plan.
5. Lifestyle modification and be active:
– Try to increase physical activity: Increase walking. If your office is not so far from your home, try to go there by walking. You can park your car little far from your workplace. So you have to walk for a little distance to get into it.
– Do household activities: A person should do house works by himself. Depending upon a maid is a way to be less active and more obese. Try to clean your home, car etc. by yourself.
– Play with kids: An obese person should spend some time with kids. Going for a walk to the nearest park with them having some fun is necessary for mental calmness as well as important role in weight loss.
– Should use stairways: If possible an obese person should take the stairways as much as possible. Avoiding elevator may help him to lose more calories.
– An obese person should do shopping from a distanced shopping mall and try to go there by walking. It will cause some calorie loss.
– Be strict on appropriate diet habit is important. An obese person should try to be an early riser to using 30 minutes extra time for some exercises. Maintaining proper routine is the key of success.
Doing exercise is very important to reduce weight. It causes increased energy expenditure and fat burn. An obese person can do heavy exercise like a body builder or do some light exercises like walking or jogging. It is not like that a great plan or a trainer is needed to start exercising. Just make a schedule for half an hour and go to the nearest park.
How much exercise a person should need? Any one doesn’t need to spend too many hours in a week for exercise. Just follow the following rule.
– For mild to moderate activities: Brisk or fast walking: 30 minutes a day for 5 days in a week.
– Vigorous activity: Jogging- 20 minutes a day, 3 to 4 days a week.
At first an obese person should try to increase the time and the amount of exercise gradually. After a few weeks it can be adjusted according to his or her ability.
Heavy exercise is not so necessary for weight loss.
7. Medication for weight loss:
There are some weight loss supplements and drugs which work by 3 ways, such as reduction of absorption of food from our gastrointestinal tract, increasing energy expenses by stimulating cellular metabolism and decreasing appetite.
Orlistat, Belviq, Phentermine, Qsymia etc. drugs are used as a diet pill and for weight loss. Some other food supplements are also found in the market for reducing weight. But their Quality is not ensured by FDA like government authority.
8. Surgical procedure:
Some surgical procedures like- Adjustable Gastric Banding, Sleeve Gastrectomy, Gastric Bypass Surgery (Roux-en-Y Gastric Bypass), Biliopancreatic Diversion etc. are available for the morbid obese patient. But these are not suitable for everyone.
A doctor can recommend it an obese person who:
– Has a BMI of 40 kg/m or more.
– Has a lower BMI (of 35 kg/m to 40 kg/m ) but also has a serious medical problem related to obesity.
– Has tried other procedures but failed to lose weight.
– Patient has to understand the risks of the surgery properly.
Before thinking about surgical procedures we should think ten times of the easiest ways to reduce weight.
We can easily control our weight by taking proper diet and exercise, changing lifestyle and being active. Healthy lifestyle may make us happy . Don’t think it is a trendy matter that you have to lose weight. You need to lose weight for your healthy life.