When pressure increases on the nerves as time passes, nerve compression occurs. If the area in which nerve compression appears is poorly vascularized, complications may follow and even tumors. In medicine, severe health problems may appear, such as: nervous compression syndrome, sciatic, carpal tunnel syndrome, etc. The medics will recommend the treatment according to the diagnosis and the severity of the disease.
Nerve fibrosis appears when the pressure is exerted on the peripheral nervous roots. Ischemia is caused by the compression of the nerves and the lack of blood intake. When the symptoms caused by the compression of a nerve appear, the medic will test to see how affected the function of the nerve was and will look for methods to ameliorate the health problems. The specialist will apply conservative treatment methods, which may give good results in a certain period of time, or will recommend surgery. The purpose of the treatment is the same in all the cases – to release pressure and eliminate the symptoms.
The main types of nerves that can be affected by compression or a pressure of the surrounding tissues are: the nerves of the arms, of the knee until the basin, which appear between the disks of the spine, in the calf area. Frequently, the most affected are: the femur, radial, median, sciatic nerve, etc.
The causes that determine the compression of the nerves:
Pregnant women can suffer from such an affection:
- Repetitive movements can cause nerve compression. Such an example is the carp tunnel syndrome.
- Some people can be affected by nerve compression due to some traumatisms.
- Articulation affection can lead to nerve compression.
- Diseases that appear throughout life or hereditary diseases can lead to this affection.
- The affection of the disks between the vertebrae is an important factor to consider. A person may suffer from degenerescence when the disk or cushion between the vertebrae is wounded and shut the center of the disk exerts pressure on a nerve which is very close to the area.
- Muscular spasms in the area of the back can lead to a nerve getting caught between the muscular fibers, thus getting compressed.
- Disk hernia, sometimes accompanied by the inflammation of the sciatic nerve or movements of the vertebrae, can affect the nerves (especially in the inferior side of the back). If the sciatic nerve is affected, degenerative diseases can appear quite often.
- Obesity is another cause that can lead to exerting pressure on the nerves.
- Sport or another physical activity that involves lifting heavy weights represent other causes of this affection.
Which are the main symptoms that appear in case of nerve compression?
- A sensation of pain or major discomfort appears in a certain area of the body, which shows it is a medical problem. If these symptoms do not ameliorate with analgesic medicines, a medic will recommend a series of anti-inflammatory medicines which correspond to the affection.
- It is possible for the affected person to suffer from intense pain, the irritation of a nerve and of the tissues around it. The compression of the nerves can lead to the weakening of the muscles and loss of sensitivity.
- At the level of the spine in the lumbar or cervical area, the branches of the nerves are caught by the disks between the vertebrae and the muscles of the vertebrae; when pressed, they can give a more or less intense pain, according to each case.
- Nerve compression can lead to muscular numbness, back, neck or internal organ pain.
- In certain cases, stings, burns or persistent pain may appear, which radiate in other areas of the body. As an example, the neck pain can sometimes radiate towards the arm and shoulder, while the back or spin pain can be felt in the chest area or between eh ribs. Thorax pain is very hard to bear, as it radiates towards the heart.
Treatment methods for nerve compression:
- Through physical therapy, acupuncture, massage, electric massage, osteopathy and other efficient methods that release the pressure exerted on the nerves.
- Through analgesic, anti-inflammatory medicines, one can release or calm pain completely.
- The medic will try to eliminate the cause that led to the compression of the nerve, eventually also trying to restore its normal function completely. The specialist will try to restore the flux of nervous impulses, eliminating the inflammation (if it exists), ameliorating muscular spasms as much as possible, stimulating blood circulation and calming pain caused by the nerves.
- When the nerves at the level of the disks between the vertebrae are compressed, the treatments used are aimed at restoring the state of health of the spine.
- The used treatments leas to calming or eliminating pain, improving physical activity, growing mobility, preventing complications (like hernia and other degenerative diseases), preventing symptom recurrence and generally to improving the health of the internal organs, spine and the entire organism.